Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Internet Freedom Advocate Nizar Zakka
After Learning of Son’s Congressional Testimony, Congressional Resolution, Nizar Zakka Breaks His Hunger Strike on 33rd Day
US Legal Permanent Resident, Nizar Zakka, concluded his 33-day hunger strike after learning of his son’s testimony before the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Middle East and North Africa on hostages held by Iran, as well as the passage of H.Res. 317, a House Resolution calling for the unconditional release of all U.S. citizens and Legal Permanent Residents held hostage by Iran.
Through his attorney, Jason I. Poblete, Mr. Zakka issued the following statement:
“At the request of my sons, and because of the support of the American Congress, I’ve decided to stop my hunger strike. 33 days of hunger strike, and the support of family, friends, and even strangers, has helped me find protection, help, and guidance that I did not have before. I want to thank again the Congress, the American people, for not forgetting about me and other fellow hostages held captive in Iran. I also thank fellow hostages and prisoners in Evin prison, for showing solidarity with my cause, for treating me as brother, this has truly been a gift, a huge difference in how the Iranian government has treated me. I am innocent of the charges against me. I just want to go home and be reunited with my family and friends.”
For more information on the House Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Middle East and North Africa hearing, “Held for Ransom: The Families of Iran’s Hostages Speak Out” go here.
The House Resolution, H.Res. 317 – Calling for the unconditional release of United States citizens and legal permanent resident aliens being held for political purposes by the Government of Iran, which was passed unanimously on July 26, can be read here.
Prior Statements and Releases
- UPDATE 13- Fourth Week of Hunger Strike Zakka Says “Liberty or Death…there is no turning back”
- UPDATE 12- As Nizar Starts Third Week of Hunger Strike, Family Pleas for Humanitarian Release
- UPDATE 11- Nizar on Fifth Hunger Strike, Now “Open Ended”
- UPDATE 10- Nizar Zakka Begins Fifth Hunger Strike, Iran Responds With Torture
- UPDATE 9- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 8- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Zakka
- UPDATE 7- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 6- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Internet Freedom Advocate Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 5- The Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka
- US LPR Zakka Meets With Iranian Prosecutor, Lebanese Ambassador to Tehran
- UPDATE 4-Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Internet Freedom Advocate Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 3- Zakka Starts Hunger Strike, Demands Unconditional Release
- UPDATE 2- Nizar Zakka Celebrates 2nd Birthday as a Hostage in Iran
- UPDATE 1- The Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka, Unconditional Release on Humanitarian Grounds Urged
- The Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka, Unconditional Release on Humanitarian Grounds Urged