Starting a nonprofit organization can somewhat daunting, but it does not need to be. We can assist you with many of the steps necessary in getting started. From initial paperwork to annual compliance reports and we are prepared to help through successful registration. That is the easy part.
The paperwork is the least complicated part of creating a non-profit. The most essential part of creating a successful non-profit is you and people. What is your goal? How will you accomplish it? Is your team as are committed as you are to advancing the goals of your new organization? These are some of the questions we will explore with you as you embark on this project.
In order for the organization to qualify for recognition as tax-exempt by the IRS, the nonprofit must be organized as a trust, corporation, or association. Other structural factors such as bylaws and setting up a board of directors may also need to be decided. We can guide you through these primary steps in preparation for official recognition.
For example, every nonprofit must also file the Articles of Incorporation. These provide an outline of the organization’s structure and purpose as well as establish the organization’s registered agent and office address, and other directors or governing members related to tax exemption.
For foreign corporations hoping to do business in a certain State, a Certificate of Authority may also be required. Depending on location, this may be required for nonprofit organizations that may have no physical presence in the state.
The following are just a few examples of required federal filings that we can assist you with;
- Articles of Incorporation
- Form 1023 – Application for Recognition of Exemption filed with IRS following incorporation
- Application for EIN
- Form 990 – Annual financial report to the IRS
- Extensions for Filing Deadlines
- Unrelated Business Income Taxes
- Other filing requirements dependent on your organization’s activities
More information on applying for tax-exempt status can be found on irs.gov
Here are a few helpful publications provided by the IRS to get you started:
- Publication 4220 – Applying for 501(c)(3) Tax-Exempt Status
- Publication 557 – Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization (Feb. 2016)
- Publication 1635 – Understanding Your EIN