Zakka Family Appreciates Continued Support Of The U.S. Government
Yesterday, Secretary of State Michael Pompeo delivered remarks at the Department of State to families of American citizens and U.S Legal Permanent residents held captive abroad. Mr. Omar Zakka, the youngest son of Mr. Nizar Zakka, who last month testified before Congress a second time about his father’s case, was at the State Department for meetings with senior U.S. officials including Secretary of State of Mike Pompeo.
“On behalf of my father and the rest of the Zakka family, I thanked Secretary Pompeo and his team for what they are doing to help bring my dad home. I am confident if Lebanon were to fully help the United States, my father would be home. Lebanon and all parties in a position to do so should follow the example of the Trump administration and help my father,” Omar said.
Mr. Nizar Zakka was in Iran at the invitation of the Iranian government, a guest of the former Vice President Shahindokht Molaverdi. Upon information and belief, Mr. Zakka was unlawfully detained and kidnapped on September 18, 2015, by the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC); and it is probable Mr. Zakka’s abduction was orchestrated to coincide on or about September 17, the last day of the U.S. Congressional review period of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
The following press release was issued following yesterday’s events.
Secretary Pompeo’s remarks can be viewed below.
Prior Statements and Releases
- UPDATE 23- Zakka Family Appreciates Continued Support of US Congress
- UPDATE 22- Zakka Family Appreciates Efforts by President Trump & US Congress
- UPDATE 21- Zakka Family Thanks Congress For Their Efforts
- UPDATE 20- Zakka Family Statement on Continued Unlawful Detention
- UPDATE 19- Zakka Family Appreciates Efforts by Sen. Cruz and Sen. Leahy, Others
- UPDATE 18- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 17- After Two Years, Zakka’s Health Continues to Deteriorate
- UPDATE 16- Nizar Zakka, Two Years Unlawfully Detained in Iran
- UPDATE 15a- Iran Renders Another Opinion in Zakka’s Case Affirming Prior Judgement