Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Internet Freedom Advocate Nizar Zakka
As Nizar Starts Third Week of Hunger Strike, Family Pleas For Humanitarian Release
Fifteen days ago Internet freedom advocate Nizar Zakka started his fifth hunger strike in Evin Prison to protest inhumane treatment at the hands of Iranian captors who have held him hostage since September 18, 2015.
In a quick phone call to family this weekend, Mr. Zakka said it is “too late to stop the hunger strike,” adding that he was being physically “tortured” by the Iranians. The Zakka family issued the following statement:
“We urge the international community, and specially the U.S. and Lebanese governments, as well as all the Human Rights Organizations to help Nizar. Nizar’s basic human and fundamental rights are being violated. Nizar’s his health severely weakened due to his continuing Hunger Strike for past 15 days, while the world is watching silently.”
Ms. Shahindokht Molaverdi, a member of Hassan Rouhani’s cabinet, who also serves as the Vice President of Iran for Women and Family Affairs, invited Mr. Zakka in the summer of 2015 to speak at a technology conference for women and families.
After several days in Iran, and after a seemingly successful event that was public and covered on social media, Nizar was detained en route to the airport on September 18, 2015. It is believed that he has been held at Evin Prison ever since.
More information on Nizar Zakka’s case can be found below.
Matter of Nizar Zakka – Hostage in Iran (YouTube)
Prior Statements and Releases
- UPDATE 11- Nizar on Fifth Hunger Strike, Now “Open Ended”
- UPDATE 10- Nizar Zakka Begins Fifth Hunger Strike, Iran Responds With Torture
- UPDATE 9- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 8- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Zakka
- UPDATE 7- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 6- Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Internet Freedom Advocate Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 5- The Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka
- US LPR Zakka Meets With Iranian Prosecutor, Lebanese Ambassador to Tehran
- UPDATE 4-Statement on the Continued Unlawful Detention of Internet Freedom Advocate Nizar Zakka
- UPDATE 3- Zakka Starts Hunger Strike, Demands Unconditional Release
- UPDATE 2- Nizar Zakka Celebrates 2nd Birthday as a Hostage in Iran
- UPDATE 1- The Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka, Unconditional Release on Humanitarian Grounds Urged
- The Continued Unlawful Detention of Nizar Zakka, Unconditional Release on Humanitarian Grounds Urged